Thursday, May 22, 2008

Finn The Cat

I’ve been a little out of the loop lately blog wise. No updates or ridiculous pie charts or swearing profusely and calling people names. I’ve been a little down you see. A little bluer than my normal, rosy self.

You see, the other day – Sunday to be specific and late Sunday night to be completely accurate – I lost my baby Finn-the-Cat to an illness of the respiratory nature. She died in the taxi two blocks from the animal hospital. It was a hopelessly horrific thing to witness, especially when you are unable to do anything to help. She has had trouble breathing for a while now and been treated a lot recently to help her feel better.

I’m not a people person so much as an animal person. I can read about famines and floods and earthquakes and feel sympathy for people, but they don’t touch me like animals do. Losing my Finn-the-cat (that is her full name!) is the same as the loss of a person to me. For ten years she has ceremoniously grunted, shattered my crockery with gay abandon in an attempt to suggest to me that maybe I might like to feed her dinner, lay on my chest and purred when I went to sleep at night and attacked my ankles as I’ve walked through the living room in the dead of night on route to the bathroom. She has dispatched of rogue bugs, the occasional mouse and lots of cheese with admirable efficiency. She has sat on the feet of guests and slept on their beds at night. She’s protective you see. She used to chew my hair. Freaky cat.

On Sunday, while I was organizing some stuff I had in storage, she hindered my attempts at every turn by getting in the storage boxes and sitting on my clothing piles. Afterwards she cuddled with me on the bed while we procrastinated doing any more work because we’re a team you see. I work and she gets in my way, It’s an arrangement we have.

Then a few hours later she was gone, just like that.

She is beautiful. I say is, because she is. Not was. It sucks losing a friend of any species. But I wanted you to meet her, so here she is. My Finn-the-cat. An awesome force of nature.